Monday, January 25, 2010

What I've Learned from Stephen King--So Far

At a Glance


Who: Me
What: Commenting on Stephen Kings book "On Writing--A Memoir of the Craft"



One thing is certain. Stephen King's book on writing teaches you "stuff." And, you learn very quickly that some of the "stuff" is not what you are wanting to read or to learn, necessarily. That's my conclusion, anyway.

Why?

Although I have not always lived a God-centered life, I have never liked to hear language that I was taught was "vile", "filthy", "gutter language" or just plain old "profanity," and it is hard to read with a filter.

Therefore, reading and trying to actually learn from Stephen King has been difficult.

Yet, there are gems about the craft of writing scattered in the mire.

(I am not certain that Shrunk and White would consider King's words that I would have omitted as "needless words" that should be omitted, though.)

Still, that is the first point about the writing craft that King drives home: Rule 17. It is still important to do that. It is so easy to just "write"--get it on paper--and that is usually with all of the words one would say when talking.

That is not necessary to do when writing. In other words, tighten it up.

Continuing through the pages, I quickly concluded, if this guy is considered a great writer, then there is hope for me. The writing craft is there and needs to be honed. So, I am on the right track.

I like the way he re-emphasized the way ideas come for stories, recognizing ideas that come to mind, and the nugget "Loose pages plus paperclip equal correct way to submit copy." As I said, gems in the mire.

He confirmed something that I believe to be true: part of writing is having someone believe that you can--just believe in you.

I also am still learning that everything doesn't get written in a day. As he said in writing about "Carrie", some stories have to sit and simmer a bit.

However, the most important thing I have learned from King at this moment is found on page 69. I say it is the most important thing because of its impact on my life.

Several years ago I began a book.

I had the opportunity to present the initial pages and concept to a publisher's agent who was seeking a book on the the subject I was writing about. She was in tears as she read. "I want this book to be the ONE book we publish on this subject," she said as she fumbled through her purse for a Kleenex.

Well, it got hard. Hard because it was emotionally hard. And that is exactly when King says that "stopping a piece of work just because it is hard...is a bad idea."

So, maybe I will continue reading King's book and pull my unfinished book off of the shelf.

Who knows, there may be more valuable gems in the mire I need to mine. I am quite positive there are.

No comments:

Post a Comment