Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Faces of San Francisco

If you're going to San Francisco
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
If you're going to San Francisco
You're gonna meet some gentle people there.....

I went there with no flowers but I met some gentle people there.


Lonely voices crying in the city
Lonely voices sounding like a child
Lonely faces looking for the sunrise
Too disturbed to stop and rest a while.

I saw the lonely faces and the voices of the children.  In the streets of San Francisco.  Two songs, different messages and me.   I left San Francisco saddened by the lives that wander those streets looking for a sunrise that may never come.









A man and child sit and watch life on the streets of San Francisco...


















Attorney Joan Kubota enjoys a good book and a good cigar in Golden Gate Park.  She says she learned to smoke cigars in the Philippines but learned to enjoy "big fat" cigars when in Cuba where "women really enjoy rolling them." 
























Eugene Curley plays his guitar in Golden Gate Park

 






And there is love..... and religion on the street in San Francisco...


 
Women, the disabled and children ----sit or sleep or peddle their wares...on the streets and in the parks of San Francisco.






....and there is love...















but I was left with the haunting question, will the next generation also become a voice from another face--wandering the streets of the city?

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I just wanted to thank you for listing peoples names. I have not seen my uncle in over 25 years and you took a picture of him at Golden Gate Park, Eugene Curley. I am now trying to locate him using the most recent picture that you took.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi jessie, eugene still lives in the haight and paints signs around the neighborhood. :)

    ReplyDelete