Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I Hate it When "THAT" Happens!

Today I wrote a note to a student I do not know, to leave under the wiper blades of a vehicle I do not know yet still felt compelled to try to find.

What happened?

One of my munchkins had a normal-for-her meltdown this morning because she did not like her hairdo and pulled it out of the hairband. (She is 7.5 years old.)

I hurriedly put it back twice while she shrieked, "I HATE MY HAIR!"

There was no time to redo it. I was already 20 minutes late leaving and had to leave. She was still screaming when I left her with my adult daughter to wait for the bus.

I noticed both lines were barely moving as I approached the last light before the first campus entrance.

Oh, great! Now everyone will be late. I hate being late!

Hastily recalculating my route, I switched lanes to enter through the farthest entrance.

As I sat there lost in the fog of the crazy morning, the car in front of me started to move. I stepped on the gas pedal.

At that same second the car that had been stopped behind the big rig in the right lane decided to dart in front of me. I almost hit her.

I slammed on my brakes. She stopped.

I started again.

She started again.

I blew my horn. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT, I fumed. Everybody is late and you saw that rig a LONG time ago!

I proceeded.

The vehicle behind me waited and let her in.

Then I saw the cause of the hold up. An accident at the intersection before the light. GREAT!

The vehicle now behind me darted in front of the rig and cut across the 7-11 parking lot and onto the side street.

I continued onto the light and hung a right.

As I signaled for the left turn, there she came zipping toward around the curve. Of course, everyone had to wait for her to turn!

She glanced my way. I thought I saw her smirk as she sped by, slipped around the curve and into Lot #5.

I wasn't hurrying for a parking spot. When you choose to park and walk, there is usually a spot available.

I was early. Dropped my daughter off at her job and made it to class on time.

Then why did I feel so awful? After thinking a moment I pulled out a sheet of paper and began to write:

Dear fellow student/fellow citizen, I wrote. Today I was rude to you; I apologize.

You needed to get around a big rig whose path was blocked by an accident I could not see. We both needed to get to school. Regardless, being late would have felt better than feeling bad all morning because of my rude behavior.

Sorry! :(

I hope you had a better day, and I hope you can forgive a stressed fellow student.

Signed: The wild woman in the blue van.

Suddenly, I felt a lot better.

1 comment:

  1. A tale well told and fine lesson for us all. Thanks for sharing your experience.

    rob

    ReplyDelete