Thursday, April 15, 2010

Is the expected impact of men's magazines different from women's magazines

I'm looking at Women's Health and Men's Health magazines more closely to answer the question--what are the magazines trying to sell--health, sex, clothes, shoes, vehicles or what?

In Men's Health there is actually a "centerfold" girl, well, not exactly "center" because she's only on one page.  But, you get my drift. 

Here is what I found:


ITEM MEN'S MAGAZINE WOMEN'S MAGAZINE



Clothing 6 10
Shoes 5 5
Deodorant 2 1
Cologne 4
Hair 4
Cars 4 1
Trucks 1
Weight 19 24
Sex 2 1
Cancer
2
Tampons
1
Toilet tissue
1
Dishes/Tide
2
Cell phones 1 1
Insurance 1
Febreze
1
Vitamins 1 1
Time-off stuff 1
Sports Beverages 1 1
Beer 1
Tech 1
Stocks 1
Water

Golf 2
Glasses 1
Tires 1
Motor  oil 1
Pet food 1 1

              
It is absolutely amazing!  I expected ads pertaining to health, you know--vitamins, bottled water, diet foods, tennis shoes, but Tide and Febreze in the women's magazine?  K-Y Jelly and a centerfold in the men's magazine?  Incredible.

Who thinks of these things?

And, if I like anything I see, I have to order it by mail, or make a phone call, when I am browsing through print media as opposed to clicking to a link and making a purchase on line.

So, I'm wondering--is it different online?  Is there an online version of either of these magazines?  If so, is the advertising different and is it more accessible?

No comments:

Post a Comment